In Episode 2 of Essence of Wonder, Gadi Evron and Christopher J. Garcia hosted author David Farland a.k.a. Dave Wolverton [Wikipedia] for an interview and a reading. Also on the episode were leadership expert Stephen Kelner for a discussion of Lord of the Ring’s Aragorn and his modern leadership style, and Karen Castelletti with a reading.
This was the show’s second episode and it was recorded with a live audience.
– Show guests, hosts, and production
– News and upcoming works from David Farland
– News and upcoming works from Christopher J. Garcia
– News and upcoming works from Stephen Kelner
– References and mentions
Christopher J. Garcia
– David Farland read the first chapter of the first Runelords [Wikipedia] book, “The Runelords” [Amazon].
– Karen Castelletti read “We Can Get Them for You Wholesale” [Wikipedia, story text at Baen] by Neil Gaiman [Wikipedia]
News and upcoming works from David Farland
- David said he is making progress on Tale of Tales (Runelords #9), but that he has learned to prefer writing slowly and well.
- Runelords screenplay for TV is already written, and being looked at by Fox and Dark Horse.
- Dave created an online writing group, Apex, [website] to help top writers succeed.
News and upcoming works from Christopher J. Garcia
News and upcoming works from Stephen Kelner
- Steve’s startup, Ascent [website].
(with a lot of interesting resources on leadership)
“A leader drives results, over the strategic long-term, through people.”— Stephen Kelner [website],Co-Founder and CEO of Ascent [website[.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”— The third law of Clarke’s Three Laws [Wikipedia], Arthur C. Clarke [Wikipedia].
“I’m not very good at anything except at picking people and stepping out of the way.”— Attributed to a former Pepsi Co. CEO by Steve Kelner.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”— Captain Jean-Luc Picard to Data, Star Trek: The Next Generation, episode 2×21.
References and mentions
- Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
Read the series. [Amazon]
- David’s writing resources. [Mystorydoctor]
- The KAV cycle explained [website].
- Publisher’s Marketplace [website] – David’s recommended resource to finding your future editor.
See you on Saturday for our upcoming episode with event chairs, Leadership in Crisis.