Art by our staffer, Piia Sorvoja. Hugo image displayed with permission.
Several of the 2020 Hugo nominees for Novella and Novelette will be joining Gadi on Essence of Wonder with Gadi Evron, including Seanan McGuire, Sarah Gailey, Sarah Pinsker, Siobhan Carroll, and Amal El-Mohtar. Facilitating the discussions will be Vincent Docherty and Karen Castelletti (Saturday, 13 June).
Also joining us on the show will be Sara Felix with her weekly Concellation 2020 Tiara giveaway.
Schedule and details
(All in US Eastern Time)
3:00 PM – Hugo Best Novella Discussion
To begin, we have Seanan McGuire and Amal El-Mohtar in conversation about their work, the Hugos, and other topics, moderated by Karen Castelletti.
- P. Djèlí Clark is the award winning and Hugo, Nebula, Sturgeon, and World Fantasy nominated author of the novellas The Black God’s Drums and The Haunting of Tram Car 015.
- Seanan McGuire is a Hugo and Nebula award-winning writer who holds the distinction of being the first person to appear five times on the same Hugo Ballot.
- Amal El-Mohtar is a Hugo, Nebula, Locus, and Rhysling Award winngin writer who reviews fiction and fantasy books for the New York Times Book Review and works as a creative writing instructor at Carleton University and the University of Ottawa.
4:05 PM – Tammy Coxen’s Mixology Show Corner
By popular demand, Tammy Coxen of Tammy’s Tastings will be returning to show us more geeky cocktails.
4:15 PM – Sara Felix Tiara Giveaway (Concellation 2020)
Sara will come on the show between 16:10 and 16:20 Eastern Time to give away the Tiara to this week’s lucky winner.
This week’s Tiara is sponsored by ALAMO (Austin Literary Arts Maintenance Organization) ALAMO, Inc. is organized for the purposes of promoting the understanding and appreciation of the literary fields of fantasy, science fiction and horror, and to provide a forum for the free discussion of the ideas and concepts associated with these literary fields.
4:30 PM – Hugo Best Novelette Discussion
Our second discussion of the evening will be with Sarah Gailey and Siobhan Carroll regarding their work, the Hugos, and other topics, moderated by Vincent Docherty.
- Sarah Gailey is a Hugo award winning writer who has also been nominated for the Nebula and Locus awards. They have written for Tor books, Fireside Magazine and Barnes and Noble and have a second novel, The Echo Wife, due for publication in February 2021 by Tor.
- Sarah Pinsker is the author of over fifty works of short fiction, including the novelette “Our Lady of the Open Road,” winner of the Nebula Award in 2016. Her novelette “In Joy, Knowing the Abyss Behind,” was the Sturgeon Award winner in 2014.
- Siobhan Carroll is a science fiction writer who is also an Associate Professor in the English Department of the University of Delaware. She has several Journals and Essays (both Refereed and Non-Refereed) published and frequently presents on a number of science fiction topics at Universities all over the world.
Other upcoming Hugo Awards series shows can be found here.
Subscribe to our newsletter for updates on new shows: